Workplace Wellness

We live in a sedentary society

Everyone knows that it is healthier to be active than it is to be sedentary. In the past this was a good distinction. Some people in society were active and some people were sedentary. Today the distinction isn’t so clear.

Desk-based jobs have become the norm in the West. Commutes are longer. And there are plenty of options for our leisure time that involve sitting down. In short, we have all become more sedentary.

Exercise is not enough

Many people do take the time to exercise, but think of it this way: if you exercise for one hour a day that only represents 4% of your time. That means that when you factor in the other 96% of the day, the people we consider “active” are almost as sedentary as people who do no exercise at all.

This is compounded by the fact that when we sit, we tend to sit in pretty much the exact same position whether we are in a car, at a desk or in an armchair. This lack of movement comes with a host of health risks including heart disease and back pain.

Doing regular exercise does not cancel out the effects of this sedentary lifestyle. Let me repeat that incase you missed it. Exercise is not enough.

Instead we need more low intensity movement spread throughout the day. Walking, carrying, standing, hanging, getting up and down from the floor. But how to fit in more movement to an already busy schedule of work, commuting and family commitments? 

It’s not as hard as you might think

It’s less about finding extra time and more about tweaking how you spend your time. Little changes add up.This is especially true in the workplace, where we spend a significant amount of our waking hours. Here are some ways to increase movement in the workplace:

  • Dynamic workstations
  • Walking meetings
  • Movement breaks

Increase productivity through employee wellbeing

These simple changes don’t have to decrease productivity and, in fact, there is an argument to be made that more movement actually improves productivity through a healthier and more energised work force.

I specialise in helping individuals and organisations improve their health and well-being through movement. As a Workplace Wellness consultant, I take you through the small details, the big picture and show you how more movement can help you feel and work better.

To book a free initial consultation for your organisation, get in touch via the contacts page.